Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Green Hornet

Got up this morning and got a swim workout in at the Y. I am determined to get better at swimming, but it has been a rough go for me. I feel that I am better, but this breathing thing in the water has got me perplexed. To get over the feeling of drowning and being able to breathe properly would make the swim more enjoyable, but I am not there yet. I refuse to give up on my goal of doing an Ironman someday, so I will have to keep after the swim. I am not worried about the bike or run, but to get to them, I have to get through the swim.
My car, The Green Hornet, has been on the fritz for several weeks now. The transmission needs rebuilt to the tune of $1,600-1,800 and that has made it become a fixed landmark in the driveway.
It has been a great car and has been paid off for several years. I bought the car when my youngest son was just born and he just turned 8 last Friday. I have racked up 182,000 miles on it and it has a lot of memories.
I have been waffling back and forth about trading it in, but I do not want another payment. With paying for Will's braces and the Jeep, I do not need any more debt. This has provided me the opportunity to bike more to work and get some more training, but some times, it has been a real inconvenience to have just one running vehicle. My oldest son just got his permit, so I will need to get something for him pretty soon, so I may just have to trade in. I am holding off as long as I can, but I am not for sure how much longer I can go. So here's to you, Mr. Green Hornet, I enjoyed your rides and you served us well. Thanks for the memories.

No comments: