Tuesday, January 13, 2009

YMCA Rant

I don't know what it is, but the Tulsa Thornton YMCA seems to tick me off on a regular basis. I went to swim yesterday after work and could not believe the amount of cars in the parking lot. Obviously the New Year's Resolution crowd was in full force. I got dressed and headed to the pool and waited about 10 minutes for a lane. Not too bad, but still kind of frustrating. I swam for about 40 minutes and was thinking about doing another few laps and the aquatics director comes out and puts a sign that says, "Lap Lane Closed For Swim Lessons". I'm thinking, that's fine. I am the only one in the lane and I will gladly share it with the lessons. I swim back to the east end and a girl tells me that I am going to have to get out of the lane as it closed for lessons. I ask her where I am supposed to go? The other two lap lanes are full with two swimmers in each and the open area has the water aerobics crew in full force. She says that I will have to swim three in a lane or wait a half an hour. Wait a half an hour? I inform her that I have paid my dues, but I cannot swim? What kind of mess is that! At that point, I just get frustrated and tell her that it doesn't matter. She tells me thank you and I grunt and mumble as I leave. I understand, but I don't understand. If I have paid my dues to have access to the pool, then I better well have access to it and not get kicked out of it. I pay good money to have access and I don't need a snot nosed kid to come up and tell me when I can and cannot swim. This is America after all and I have rights. So, I showered, swore under my breath, and went home and ranted on the wife. I will now start another one of my rights as a American, freedom to choose where I have my membership. God bless America!

No comments: