Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It's Hot!

Man is it hot! We are under a heat advisory as we will hit over 100 today and the heat index is supposed to be 110 degrees. Sounds like a perfect day to get a long run in. I have the Leadville Marathon coming up in a little over 2 weeks and I needed to get some mileage in. I decided to run at Turkey Mountain as a lot of the trail is shaded, I can do loops and re-fuel, and I need to get some hill training in as this is a Trail marathon. I dropped the misses off at work and headed out to Turkey. When I started temps were around 80 and they were at 90 when I finished. I messed around on Turkey for about 3 hours and managed to get about 18 miles in. This is slower than normal for me, but I took longer breaks between loops and my mantra today was slow and steady with the heat.
This is what I look like after sweating for 3 hours with no wind, humidity, and heat. I was glad to be done.
Even my shoes took a beating, but the New Balance 790's held up. I jumped in the Jeep, cranked the air on and headed home. I soaked in a cold water bath for about 10 minutes. I am a big proponent of this as I have no doubt that it helps speed recovery. I need to be recovered as much as possible as the altitude at Leadville will take some edge off of my fitness. I still want to get a 20+ miler next week before we go, if possible.


I just finished up reading yesterday, Johan Bruyneel's, We Might As Well Win. Johan was a decent cyclist himself from Belgium, but he is mostly known as the Team Manager for all of Lance Armstrong's 7 Tour De France wins. It was a good read, but not one that get you excited to go out and do more.





















It was interesting to read about his relationship with Lance and some of the tactics they used during the Tour. If you are looking for a nice, easy read, this is a good book. If you are looking for a motivational, inspiring book, this is not the one. It is still worth the effort, but one I would not read again. I like to be inspired!

No comments: