Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Snake Run

Last Saturday was the 2nd Annual Snake Run on Turkey Mountain. The run gets it's name from a 4 mile loop that winds around the west side of Turkey Mountain in a snake shaped pattern. This trail section is fairly flat and offers just enough rocks, roots, and pitfalls to make it interesting. My goal was to just take it easy and see what happened. I had no idea of how many miles I wanted to do, but to do enough for a long run. I am thinking of doing OKC Marathon next month, so I thought this would be good training. It has been a long time since I have done a long trail run and did not know how my feet would hold up.

I started the day in 6th and let Bill, Mike, and Tom T. battle it out up front and I was going to run my pace. Tim Davis and Denny Wooten were also ahead of me, but I knew they did not plan to run all 6 hours. Tom T. started to fall off the leaders pace, but Bill and Mike were neck and neck. After awhile I noticed that Tom T. and Bill were not on the course. I knew that I had moved into second as Denny and Tim had dropped out. I knew a lot of the other runners were not too far behind me, so I knew if I wanted to stay in second I was going to have to stay after it. I rehydrated after every loop and stayed on top of my food intake and really did not have any problems. I did start to feel something in my right foot after 20 miles, but it stayed at bay for the rest of the day. I got to the point to where I thought I could get one more loop out as I had 42 minutes left and I figured if I did that, I would wrap up second. I finished up the last loop with just under 4 minuted to spare, but did not have enough time to do a 1/2 mile loop to add mileage. I knew I probably had second wrapped up and sure enough I did by one mile. I finished in second with 36 miles and third was Eric Moon with 35 miles.

The most important thing of the day was that my wife Julie did 16 miles. The farthest she had every ran was 6 miles and for her to do 16 was quite the accomplishment. If not for her knees acting up, she could have done probably 20 miles. Maybe next time.

Not to be out done, my youngest son Wyatt, age 7, did 12 miles. He is naturally gifted for running and I hope he sticks with it. He wanted to do another loop, but he did not have time. He came home unphased and played flag football until I made him come in and rest.

Overall it was a great day and a good time to see old friends and make some new ones. TATUR always puts on a great race and I look forward to running more in the future. Here are some pictures from the race. Enjoy!

At the check in to start another loop.
Paul Hall looking serious.
Julie and Wyatt checking in.
The studs, Bill and Overall Winner Mike Adams. Mike is in the lead.
Tulsa Trihead in the middle.
Good friend Paul Hall.
Me coming up the trail.

No comments: