Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Santa Came Early

Since the Thornton YMCA pool has been closed for maintenance, we have been going to the Owasso YMCA to get some laps in. I am on vacation most of this week, but have to go in on Christmas Eve off of my vacation because my boss if freaking out. I will be there about 5 or 6 hours and not with my family, but they will not have to go in. Funny how that works.
The kids enjoy going to Owasso better as they have a water slide and fountains. I don't like it as well as they only have two lap lanes and kids and people who have no concept of what the laps are for. The lifeguards do not do a real good job of policing the lanes. Once there was a huge lady taking up both sides of the lane. She wearing a hat and I could not figure out how she could swim and wear a hat, but I soon realized that that she was so huge that she stayed afloat an was in no danger of her head going under the water. I asked the lifeguard if he could talk to her ask to either move over or get out. She was just doing some float stroke and was only staying in the deep end. She was not going anymore than about 5 yards in her deep end. He did not want to talk to her, but he finally did and she got out and sat in the circular water area for the kids. Unfortunately my kids had goggles on and saw what was underneath and have needed therapy ever since.
Will had a double header basketball game at the Salvation Army Boys & Girls Club in BA. I have not been able to go to any of his games since I work nights, so it was a real treat to do so. As it happens, Julie had to work late, so I had all the kids. There first game was 6 pm and they another at 8 pm with an hour in between. They lost the first game, but Will made a 3 pointer and had some rebounds. In between times, we needed something to do and I suddenly realized that I have deprived my kids of Foosball and pool. Stuff that I grew up on.
After kicking their behinds at Foosball we ventured over to play pool. When I was a kid I spent most of my time in the pool hall. Not the best crowd to hang around with, but I really loved pool. I had several books by Willie Mosconi and my own pool cue at age 13 and could beat adults 3, 4, or 5 times my age. I realized that the kids had never ever played. Here is Wyatt looking sharp.
Shannon is zeroing in on the stripes. We played a couple of games and it was time to head in for the second game. This game was totally different. Will had 8 points, several rebounds, and some broken up plays. His team won by over 20 points in this game.
At work on Friday, my lead got me a special gift. A Paul Stanley KISS Mr. Potato Head. Being that I am a proud member of TATUR and a childhood KISS fan, the gift was quite appropriate.
In the mail today I got another Christmas gift of a Louis Garneau Thermal Cycling Jersey, Windproof Skull Cap, Nashbar Tights, and Long Finger Cycling Gloves. So, what better thing to do but go for a ride. I have not rode on the roads for a few months and I do not have a Mountain Bike. I have rode the trainer during all this time, but the ride today kicked my behind. It is amazing how different the trainer and the road is. Just a few months ago, I was doing 60 mile rides for fun and today a 26 mile ride was all I needed. It did not completely wipe me out like an Ultra, but I felt every minute of it. It was nice to be out again as I did not have any cold weather Cycling gear until now. It is supposed to be warmer tomorrow and maybe I can squeeze a ride in between storms. One thing I did not miss was most of the Tulsa drivers. All I can say is, God Bless all of you in a hurry to where ever it is that you need to go.

On a side note, I heard on the radio that the individual that hit the elderly cyclist and killed her earlier this year, plead guilty and is getting 7 years in prison. I am not for sure if this is justice or not. He was late for work, an illegal, and went on to work and did not even stop. Seems like more should have been done. My prayers and sympathies go out to the family.

1 comment:

Bubba said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.