Monday, September 7, 2009

Great Labor Day Weekend

I woke up early on Saturday morning and decided to do the MS 150 training ride starting from the Westside parking lot. It was kind of an eery feeling being close to where the cycling fatality happened this past week. I cannot let it affect me, but you cannot help but think about it while riding. The ride of the day was a 50 miler and it was kind of soupy out with lots of humidity. It was looking like London as the fog was low and it was cloudy. We started out at about 7:30 and took off towards the 21st bridge. I was riding behind a friend of mine, Tim, when all at once a guy on a lazy bike, Recumbent, that is what my son calls them, got his bike caught in a seam and went down and took Tim with him. We had only made it a quarter of a mile and had already crashed. I stopped and helped him with his bike and he appeared to be OK. I think this kind of shook him up as he kind of hung back the rest of the day. I knew something was bothering him as he normally sets the pace and everyone else hangs on. I was going a lot of slower than planned, but I did not want to leave him behind.
We turned and headed towards Sapulpa and a peloton of Tom's riders passed us. I did not even know that they had a team, but apparently so. I so much wanted to hop in with them, but I wanted to stay back with Tim. We stopped at the first rest area and come to find out he had hurt his knee and he told me to not wait up. I did just that and ended up pretty much riding by myself for the rest of the 50 miles. I got back to the Jeep and Julie was waiting as she rode her bike on Riverside, while I went on the ride. She did 12 miles and one of these days she will be able to keep up.
Sunday after church, I hopped on the bike and rode to the Owasso YMCA. I know this is a picture of the Thornton YMCA, but I forgot to get a picture of the Owasso one. After the 21 mile ride there, I hopped on the treadmill, which I rarely ever do, and did a 45 minute run. I did some short intervals and even got down to a 5:18 mile for awhile. It was kind of exciting to run that fast, but it still amazes me that marathoner's run faster than that over 26.2 miles. Truly amazing. While I was running, the kids were in the pool, so I finished up and headed to the pool and swam for about 30 minutes. Somewhat of a mini tri for the day.
Today, the Church on the Move cycling group met at the Zoo and were going to Skiatook for lunch, about 38 miles round trip. I rode my bike from the house and added some bonus miles. I ended going faster than I wanted as Tim was feeling better and Lance Pitts led us up there. We averaged close to 20 for the trip up. We ate lunch at Subway and spent way too much time there. They are a great bunch of guys, but they waited for all the groups to come in and eat before we left. I think we spent at least an hour and 15 minutes in Subway before we left again. It was already heating up outside and I could feel it on the way back. Tim led the way back to Mohawk and we were flying. I peeled off on the backside of Mohawk and headed home. I was getting hot and just wanted to get home. I ended up with 100K for the day, not bad.
This was a good weekend of training and I felt really good. My heart rate does not feel elevated in the morning and my legs feel good. I trying to decide what to do this weekend. There is a Crit race in Springdale, AR on Saturday. I have never done a Crit race before and would like to try one before the season is over. My cycling has been good and I think I could do it. They have a Citizen category, so this should be less intense. Also, this Sunday is the Turkey & TATUR's 50K, which I have done the last three years. I am undecided, but that is typical for me. I will wait until probably Friday.
Friends of mine ran the New Mexico Marathon yesterday and the Colorado Springs Trail Marathon today. Crazy, but sounds like something I would do. Have fun this week and get outdoors!

No comments: