Thursday, November 19, 2009

New Balance 100 Shoe Review: Updated

I have ran for awhile in the New Balance 790's, but like a lot of things, they must come to an end. I have really enjoyed the 790 shoe for its low profile and feel on how I can grip the road. This is the shoe that Tony Krupicka used to wear and what Kyle Skaggs wore to win the Hardrock 100 in a new course record. New Balance decided to stop production on the 790, so it is relegated to the past.
They have decided to focus their attention on the MT 100. This shoe had a lot of input from Tony Krupicka and Kyle Skaggs and personally I think it is a big hit. I have about 50 miles on them and they are performing well. I do not think that they grip the road that well, as they are a little stiffer than the 790, but overall I think it is a better shoe. It has better breathability with better rock guard protection. The support around the heel is higher, but the main fit around the foot is definitely a thinner material, almost like the Addizero. I have yet to do a longer 20+ mile run in them, but I am sure that they will hold up well. I thinking about tackling the Rocky Raccoon 50 miler in Feb. and this is the shoe I would wear. I would give them a 4 out of 5 and hey, with a retail price of $75, you cannot beat the price.
This Sunday is the Route 66 Marathon, but I will not be wearing the MT 100 for that. Instead I will be wearing the Asic Hyperspeed. I originally wore them during the OKC Marathon and they performed well. They have a real good fit and feel with a low profile. After all, this is the same shoe Ryan Hall wears. Not that I will run like him, but I think I am in good company. We are three days away and I cannot wait. It is going to be so much fun and the weather should be just right. This is my fourth year running it and I have had my best Marathon times here. An added bonus this year is that Michael Wardian will battling another guy, Zac Fruedenburg, for the Guinness Book record for a Marathon time for pushing a jogging stroller. Michael already owns the record, but once he found out it was going to be challenged, he wanted in. The record is 2:42 and some change, that is incredible! This weekend is going to be a blast!



Well, I finished Rocky Raccoon in my NB 100's and they performed flawlessly. I had absolutely no blisters or any hot spots after running a 50 mile race. I had concerns about the higher back in the heel was maybe going to rub, but it was not even an issue. I heard from so many people how their feet were raw and hurt from the roots and sand, but I came through without a hitch.

I know that the new 101's are supposed to be out in October and they are supposed to address a lot of the issues, such as the higher heel part of the shoe. As for now, I will continue to run in the 100's as my shoe of choice. On or off the road.

No comments: